About the EPC
Our name describes us well. The EPC is both evangelical & Presbyterian. We are evangelical in our zeal for the Gospel, as well as evangelism, missions and living obediently as followers of Jesus. At the same time, we are rooted deeply in the Protestant Reformation and especially the theological and pastoral work of John Calvin. We embrace the Westminster Confession of Faith as our doctrinal standard, and the rule of spiritually mature elders linked together regionally as the best way to guide local congregations.
When the EPC started in 1981 we determined that on the basic essentials of the Christian faith, we would not disagree. On anything that was not essential, such as the issue of ordaining women as officers or practicing charismatic gifts, we would give each other liberty. Above all, we committed ourselves to loving each other and not engaging in quarrels and strife. The result is that when we get together in our regional and national meetings, we spend most of our time in worship and fellowship and almost none in arguing with each other.
The EPC consists of nearly 600 churches and about 171,000 members. We have a world missions program with a priority on sending missionaries to unreached people groups. We are eager to plant churches across the United States and especially in urban communities and college towns. Our desire is that every one of our congregations will be an outpost of the Kingdom in post-Christian America with every member viewing himself or herself as a missionary on a mission.
If you are interested in helping us be more faithful and more fruitful as Christ’s disciples, check us out further on this website. Even better, visit one of our branches near you.
To learn more about the Evangelical Presbyterian Church, visit us online at www.epc.org
Evangelical Presbyterian Church: Essentials of Faith
The Bible, uniquely and fully inspired by the Holy Spirit, is the supreme & final authority on all matters on which it speaks. On this sure foundation we affirm these additional Essentials of our Faith:
- We believe in one God, the sovereign Creator and Sustainer of all things, infinitely perfect and eternally existing in three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. To Him be all honor, glory and praise forever!
- We believe that Jesus Christ, the living Word, became flesh through His miraculous conception by the Holy Spirit and His virgin birth. He who is true God became true man united in one Person forever. He died on the cross, as a sacrifice for our sins according to the Scriptures. On the third day He arose bodily from the dead, ascended into heaven, where, at the right hand of the Majesty on High, He now is our High Priest and Mediator who will come again to the earth (personally, visibly, and bodily) to judge the living and the dead, and to consummate history and the eternal plan of God.
- We believe that the Holy Spirit has come to glorify Christ and to apply the saving work of Christ to our hearts. He convicts us of sin and draws us to the Savior. Indwelling our hearts, He gives new life to us, empowers and imparts gifts to us for service. He instructs and guides us into all truth and seals us for the day of redemption.
- We believe that when we are estranged from God and condemned by our sinfulness, our salvation is wholly dependent upon the work of God’s free grace. God credits His righteousness to those who put their faith in Christ alone for their salvation, thereby justifying them in His sight. Only those born of the Holy Spirit and who receive Jesus Christ become children of God and heirs of eternal life.
- We believe that the true Church is composed of all persons who, through saving faith in Jesus Christ and sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit, are united together in the body of Christ. The Church finds her visible, yet imperfect, expression in local congregations where the Word of God is preached in its purity and the sacraments are administered in their integrity, where scriptural discipline is practiced, and where loving fellowship is maintained. For her perfecting, she awaits the return of her Lord.
- We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ commands all believers to proclaim the Gospel throughout the world and make disciples of all nations. Obedience to the Great Commission requires total commitment to “Him who loved us and gave Himself for us”. He calls us to a life of self-denying love and service.